Frequently Asked Questions about Hayden Elementary School
What time does school start and end?  
Students should be in their classrooms at 7:50 a.m.  Students are dismissed at 3:00 p.m.  Buses normally leave our campus at approximately 3:10 p.m.

Can I eat lunch with my child?
Yes!  We love for parents to come eat lunch.  We do ask, however, that you not bring outside food into our school.  It causes problems with other children if your child has special food, and they do not.  It also hurts our school's lunch program.  If you would like for someone other than people identified on your child's emergency contact information to eat lunch with your child, please send us a note regarding this person so we can verify it before lunch.  Otherwise, this person will not be allowed to eat with your child.  

If my child doesn't come home on the bus on time, what should I do?
You can call us at (205) 647-6578 or the Bus Shop at (205) 274-9911.  

How many parent notes can I write each year?
Schools can accept 5 parent notes for student illness per semester.  There are two semesters per academic year.  From the beginning of school to Christmas break is the first semester.  The second semester begins after Christmas and goes until the end of the school year.

Are notes saying that my child went out of town accepted by the school?
If an absence for a trip has been prior approved by the principal, you will need to write a note stating this when your child returns to school.  To get prior approval for an absence, you will need to call the principal at (205) 647-6578 or email him at

If the bus misses picking up my child, what should I do?
If the bus misses picking up your child (which can sometimes happen with a substitute driver) and you can't bring your child to school, please call the school office for help.

If my child is struggling academically in school, what should I do?
First, contact your child's teacher.  She has the most insight into problems that may be occurring.  Depending on the issue, he or she may be eligible for additional help through our problem-solving team or other services.

What should I do if my child is being bullied?
As a first step, please directly call the principal or contact your child's teacher.  We follow a protocol for investigating allegations of bullying.  Our school does not tolerate bullying.  For a good description of what bullying is, click here.  For a complaint form, click here.  

Does the school accept faxed doctor's notes?
Yes.  If we ever have a question about the validity of an excuse, we will contact the doctor's office directly.

Does the school have a Lost and Found?
Yes.  We constantly find jackets, sweaters, hats, and scarves.  Glasses and expensive items are kept in the main office until claimed; jackets and other items are hung outside the lunchroom on the coat rack.

Why are there only two grades here?
The school configuration was based on what grades fit into available buildings.  We love having third and fourth graders here!  

Does my child need a medical condition letter?
If your child has a medical diagnosis which could require him or her to miss more than 10 days per semester, your doctor should write a letter stating this.  It should be written or typed on the doctor's office letterhead and signed by the doctor.  This should be turned in as soon as possible, because we are not allowed to retroactively code absences after receiving this letter.  If you have questions, please call the school office and speak to Mrs. Grabany or Mr. Marsh.

When can my child return to school after being sick?
Twenty-four hours must have passed since a child had a fever last or experienced vomiting.  Sending children to school before this increases the chances of spreading illness among our students, so please comply with this.  Students should not be given fever-reducing medicines before school.